Have you heard the quality of your life is determined by the quality of your questions?
The other day a mentor laid a doozy on me….
“DK, what is your message?”
“What is it that you would like people to get that would amazingly transform their fitness and improve their lives?”
WHOA…it was a load to think about…
So instead of wasting 4 hours attempting to find the perfect answer I did what I often do each day…I got out my journal and began to brain dump.
It skips around quite a bit but read it carefully…
If I am the resource you seek you will know without a doubt.
Alternatively if I am not the coach you seek…you will also know without a doubt.
SO….WHAT IS MY MESSAGE????
- Do Something Extraordinary. It works everytime. JAM ON IT!!!!!!!!!
- It is possible for you. Yes it is. (Meaning your dream level of fitness and beyond.)
- You struggle because you don’t have a clear enough Anchor Goal.
- The scale won’t be enough for you to overcome #reallife and stick to a plan.
- “Fitness Moments” are why people put in the effort. Examples: When you can pull off your starter jeans without unbuttoning them OR when you hit a size you haven’t seen in 10 years OR when your wedding ring gets loose OR you suddenly notice muscle when putting on lotion.
- MASSIVE ACTION = FEAR KILLER
- Keto is the fastest, safest way to reach your body fat goals.
- Keto is the most sustainable way to reach your body fat goals.
- Doing daily body-weight exercises does wonders for your fitness and builds an amazing foundation that allows for more advanced things later.
- Become a FORM FREAK. Ask for help. Scour the Internet. Practice. If you can’t do a movement properly drop to the next modification. Then…if you are still unable to perform the exercise properly drop to the next modification. And so on. Video yourself. Practice. Above all…stop doing things with crappy form. If you feel like it’s not right, 99% chance it probably isn’t.
- If you want to see results in your workouts leave your ego at the door. It is all about consistent time under tension (TUT) to improve strength. Stop throwing around weights way too heavy for you like an idiot. If you can’t get your heart rate up then go jog 2 minutes in between sets until you develop the necessary skill set.
- I can change your entire life around exercise in 20 minutes with little tweaks and changes to basic movements.
- Eating low sugar and low carb (not zero carb) makes most humans feel amazing after a few days.
- Consistency is overwhelmingly the biggest obstacle to achieving fitness goals.
- Pro Activity is the biggest weapon to combat a lack of consistency.
- Eating for Weight Loss is DIFFERENT than eating for Performance.
- If you are willing to give up top end performance to drop body fat now, your top end performance at fit levels of body fat LATER, with the addition of clean carbohydrates, will SHOCK YOU!
- A stronger, faster, and leaner you makes everything more fun. From workouts to vacations….a newfound youthfulness, a hop in your step, and the elimination of decades old aches and pains is just freaking cool.
- Setting regular PRs (personal records) is super exciting and motivational.
- Fitness is a learned “skill set” that must be practiced with an intention to learn.
- Attaining a “lifestyle of fitness” where you rarely struggle is a myth of marketing.
- Living life at “fit levels” of body fat even makes reading books more amazing.
- My food addiction will always prefer pancakes, brownies, burgers and fries but my brain and my desire to feel like a billion bucks know I must steer clear 90% of the time.
- Chances of achieving fitness goals going solo against the American Fat Train are slim to none…and slim just left town.
- True joy is a product of suffering for a good cause, not a product of comfort. Just look at any area of your life where you have felt it.
- You are not just losing weight fast but gaining a sense of your personal Truth around fitness.
- Self-Awareness or “presence” is critical to long term fitness. Learn to think about what you think about.
- Getting to a single weight and attempting to stay there is a one way to ticket to an insane asylum. Choose a new weight range with a new “panic and take action point.”
- The zipper is 1000x more motivational than the scale.
- Fitness Stalking is unlike any daily accountability service you have ever seen, heard, or even thought of. It is YOUR BEST CHANCE period.
- Losing weight with educational micro-burst challenges really works for fast results and motivation to continue long term.
- Being involved in a group that nurtures and supports a culture of fitness is the KEYSTONE for long-term success. Going it solo is death if you have read this far.
- Accountability is paramount to hitting goals in a weight loss program. Or any program for that matter.
- Associating numbers and metrics from nutritional content to weight-loss results is another major factor in maintaining long term results.
- You are not as consistent as you think you are.
- You eat more sugar than you think you do.
- You may eat healthy but that’s not the same as eating for weight loss.
- You are capable of SO MUCH MORE than you think.
- Exercise has to be pre planned otherwise it will ALWAYS take a backseat.
- The right time to exercise is when you will actually do it.
- Doing morning fasted exercise is the FASTEST route to weight loss.
1) increased stored energy burn
2) it rarely ever takes a backseat like a PM workout
- Adding in 2x per day workouts whenever possible will speed up the process further.
- ALWAYS keep looking until you find an exercise you enjoy/look forward to.
- A regularly made group exercise class is SO FREAKIN HELPFUL to your cause.
- Sign up for something. This phase doesn’t even include actually doing it. But you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take! (Michael Jordan rip off)
- Keep your driving, living, and workspace hyper organized. It helps. Don’t argue.
- Have fallback emergency plans built into your day…Like a convenience store for Muscle Milk or Lettuce burger from just about anywhere if you get caught off schedule.
- Keep your potassium intake at 3000 to 3500mg per day with food or supplement. You will feel OLD, WEAK, and TIRED if you don’t!!!!
- Take basic supplements for optimal health. Hate taking pills? Wish you could go all natural? Cool!! That is the best way! Set aside 2 hours a day to prep all the food you will need and another extra hour to eat it all!!!
- NEVER. SAY. DIE.
- It’s not about having a slip, but rather how you respond to it.
- Alcohol will absolutely devastate your weight-loss efforts.
- Do not eat your kid’s food. i.e. goldfish, pirates bootie, leftover French fries, chicken nuggets, pop tarts, milk, noodles, mac and cheese…you get the picture. And…if your kids never eat these things, congrats on being a Saint, and probably not having a weight problem. The rest of us need to be reminded.
- Eat lower carb and low sugar and workout consistently to feel youthful.
- Get Warrior Fit at any age.
- Work towards a parallel squat, or close to it, at any age.
- Track your food or quit weight loss efforts until you are ready to track your food.
- When the pain gets greater than the fear, people change.
- Discover the TRUTH about you.
- It takes a coach to get over lying to yourself. Or maybe try it again your way.
- DEXA scans are a powerful fat loss MEGA tool….go get one now.
- An Activity Tracker/Heart Rate Monitor is a powerful weight loss and fitness MEGA tool.
- The Fit Bit is an excellent starter tool. It tracks resting heart rate and steps like nobodies business…BUT…and I wish this weren’t true….the wrist based heart rate monitor IS HORRIBLE for high intensity exercise. One day the science will get there and I will be the first in line to buy one. I try one every year just to make sure and YES in 2016 everything from the Apple watch to the Polar 360 still suck at monitoring higher heart rates! BUT you can buy a polar H7 strap that will sync with either one for exercise tracking! DO THAT!!!
- Journaling for 5 min in the morning will entirely change how your respond to life situations. In short, it will turn you into an emotional grown up in 30 days.
- Write down your fears at least once a week. 98% will be False Events Appearing Real.
- Ask yourself better questions in writing and answer them in writing.
- I give a damn. Yes you keep seeing this. People ask me what I do different. I find this is a BIG DEAL. Doesn’t matter if a coach has a PHD if he or she doesn’t give a damn. Like really….give a damn. Like… would rather bleed out before they let their clients down…give a damn.
- Do not trust anything you have been told about nutrition carte blanche. Including from me. You MUST seek out what works for you. Example: About 95% of the women I train have been told to eat 1800 calories a day and 50% carbs at some point in their life by a well meaning nutritionist or academic dietician. And as all of them not training for an Ironman in Hawaii can attest…it’s a one -way ticket to 40% bodyfat… And the loss of zero pounds. ..and maybe a 3 lbs gain.
- The Foam Roller has saved an entire generation from the mythical “bad knees” and “bad back”. (Injuries defined and diagnosed by a doctor with the aid of an x-ray or MRI are a different story.)
- Running/Jogging/Interval Sprinting is the exercise that will get you to lose weight the fastest. (Presuming appropriate carb, sugar, alcohol, and calorie control. ) The slowest? Recumbent bike. Geez. RB’s are for rehab patients and 97 year olds! They do not constitute exercise!!!!
- Getting regular Chiropractic and Sports Therapy (once a week) is a fountain of youth. Not the 10 min back crack… I mean the 30 to 60 min total body adjustments professional athletes swear by. Don’t wait until you get hurt. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!
- Cryo is the bomb. They may make some outrageous claims like burning an extra 600 cals a day….SMH….but there is no question that a 3 min shot of that extreme cold does something to enhance the nervous system and get re-oxygenated blood to areas that normally don’t get it like choke poses in Yoga. You will walk out feeling younger or you can email me a middle finger combined with a poop emoji.
- Orange Theory gets my hat is off to you award. The first class I went to I thought I was going through my own training manual. They employ just about every exercise tactic I would in order to get a client to lose weight…except for a focus on consistent nutrition so you will still have to call me for that part. It’s not really their fault…they are in the business of creating an exciting environment to workout and the fact is most people want to pretend to lose weight rather than actually doing what it takes. SO they say DO THIS CLASS SO YOU CAN HAVE DESSERT TONIGHT because they know that’s what most of their clients want to hear. Food Nazis who give advice unsolicited will get kicked in the NUGGETS or in OTFs case, they would just stop going. Long story short…When people hire me for Fitness Stalking I send them to Orangetheory because I can trust they will be sweating and burning cals in a relatively low injury risk environment.
- Fight your body’s constant efforts at predictable balance. Almost never do the exact same thing workout wise. Faster, slower, more reps, less reps, more weight, less weight, more intensity, less intensity…you get the idea. You have undoubtedly heard of muscle confusion. Believe the hype.
- Bikram Yoga will heal you…As long as it’s not broken or torn…It’s another certified FOY tool. (Fountain of Youth)
- Yes Cryo is the Bomb, BUT it doesn’t hold a candle to the Ice bath when it comes to miracle recovery. Ever see the PROS sitting in those tubs? They don’t do that because it’s cozy…it’s not. They do it because it’s the absolute fastest way to get a beat up lower body back in the game at full strength. Technique: sit in a tub of water and have someone add the ice. It is 1000x better than putting ice in and then trying to GET IN THE ICE. 10 to 12 minutes max. Start with 1 bag and work your way up to 6 bags.
- NEVER give up on having an injury fixed and healed. I always ask myself, “What would a professional athlete have done here? What kind of treatment? What is their next step? Science and physical therapy are advancing forward faster than we can hurt ourselves these days. NEVER surrender on an injury. As I age things can take from 9 months (plantar fasciitis) to 2 years (disk issue). I repeat…NEVER surrender on an injury. Keep asking questions and researching new treatments. AND be willing to do them.
- Warm up for at least 15 minutes before getting intense with your workout. I warm up for 45 min before a big competition like Austin’s Fittest. Anybody who tries to rush me into something I just ignore. I would rather leave rude and healthy than cooperative and hurt.
- I give a damn…and ask yourself this….Who gives a damn about you in your life?Unfortunately, it’s probably a sad short list. Work to improve it. It will change your life. Start by REALLY giving a damn about someone else.
- Gigantic Goals produce Gigantic Action. You know this already. Write some of those big scary anchor goals down on paper. So what if your neighbor and cousin think you are too skinny. Jump around a corner when they are not looking and pull up your shirts and yell ABs bitch!!! Or just politely thank them for their concern…Your choice.
- You are afraid of all kinds of stuff. Get it on paper and out of your brain. Journaling is an absolute GAME CHANGER when it comes to getting what you want out of life. You head will tend towards a big bullsh#t story. Your writing tends to be more about facts. Do not ignore this. It works…If even for 3 minutes a day.
- You can be happy 80% of the time instead of 20% of the time if you are willing to ask for help and do the work. WHAT?? People are only happy 20% of the time?? Of course.. Or less. Let’s do something about it.
- Happiness is achievement….Over and over and over and over. A clean house, a bad ass workout, 7 days without sugar, getting paid for a skill, a positive parenting moment, no alcohol for a whole 3 days, hitting a goal, actually journaling for 7 days in row instead of talking about it, etcetera, etcetera…
- True Joy comes from suffering for a good cause. Not from taking our comfort.
- You know this to be true…But that is not the messaging we receive from the time our eyes open until the time they close. “Have this latte or our day is gonna suck” in a thousand variations permeates our entire society. Don’t give into it. Practice your Sugar Demon Prevention Strategies.
- You are totally capable of absurd, extraordinary sh#t. Let’s do it together.
- Bad News: Because of 1000 different reasons including, but not limited to living in a mostly negative society, the default setting of our mind is to make us miserable.
- Good News: We can go to work on it. Protect your circle of influence like a mother lion. Ditch the day long stream of hate media. Notice where we are being influenced at every turn, (see size 0 mannequins in malls even though almost nobody in the mall is a size 0). Journal, Meditate, seek out a Mentor, set anchor goals in every area of your life, read mostly positive “do something about it” literature, and watch uplifting, fear crushing media sources.
- In fitness and in life there is no such thing as Neutral. We are either making progress or sliding back. If we ignore or deny this truth by not getting on a scale or not addressing life situations, we wake up months later stressed and overweight wondering, “what the hell was I thinking?”
- Thus, most humans are either on a “structured nutritional program” (aka diet…shh) or they are getting fatter.
- The “lifestyle of fitness” marketed as some utopia where you never want pancakes or dessert again and LOVE working out all the time because it makes you feel so good is a total bucket of bullsh#t. Unless you are in the 1% of people who seriously are not affected by everything you have been reading it is NEVER OVER. The Sugar Demons and the Lazy Funk Monster are patiently waiting for you to stop journaling, drift away from your fitness group, hit a goal, start thinking “you’ve got this”, OR their personal favorite… a stressful time consuming life situation. It’s never over for us. Stay on point with the prevention work and you CAN HAVE THAT ETOPIA most days.
- You are the creator and protector on your own anchor goals. Never let a well meaning but ignorant yahoo tell you that you are losing too much weight while they sip a milkshake. If you are really concerned ask me, or get a DEXA scan, or both. If you have an eating disorder you know who you are and please get medical help. I cannot recall in 12 years ever being seriously concerned enough to say, “girl, you have taken it too far,” or “hey man, we set out to get abs not ribs.” Trust me I will let you know WAY before that.
- The act of Daily Fasting makes a GIGANTIC difference in your fat loss results.
- Purposeful Hunger is a good thing. Forgetting to eat is a disaster.
- We all need coaches to attain or max out our potential in any given area.
- There is a 97% chance you have no idea what your max heart really is.
- The whole workout in the FAT BURNING ZONE thing is marketing trickery.
- The way to lose weight is to eat clean, controlled calories and bust your ass for days in a row…including weekends. It’s my job to make it doable.
- Putting enough money/skin in the game that it makes you nervous creates focus. It does for me and it does for you.
- Eating all “real” food (nothing processed or marinated) that is meticulously measured and tracked is the fastest way to lose weight. I don’t like this one either.
- Restaurants a can easily be utilized to burn fat but they make the scale angry.
- Diet soda can be helpful if you stick to everything else 100%. But, if you drink a 12 pack a day you are an addict and need professional help beyond an undergraduate degree.
- Although anybody who coaches nutrition (including me) will tell you straight up that all natural, all the time is what’s best for human body, 30 to 50 lbs of excess body fat choking out your vital organs and destroying your joints is 50x more harmful to your health than a few artificial sweeteners. Proof? Number one killer of human beings…heart disease. Where are artificial sweeteners on that list?
- Supplements are like NITROUS used in a racecar. If the engine is 100% and it’s fueled with high quality octane then the NITROUS helps it go faster. If the former 3 are not present the NITROUS is completely ineffective. Translation, if you eat like sh#t, some random thing at the checkout counter that boosts your hormones is GIGANTIC waste of money.
- Weight loss and a sustained goal weight range is WAY MORE about strategies, rituals, and accountability than it is about will power.
- Nutrition is 90% of weight loss.
- Nutrition is 90% of weight loss. Yes I said it twice. It takes an hour to burn 500 calories and 2 minutes to eat it. You CANNOT out exercise poor nutrition and overeating. Stop trying… you are not 19. And if you are 19, I am EXTREMELY impressed you are reading this.
- Food will not fix your problems past 3 minutes of warped pleasure. Ever. Neither will alcohol.
- Food is not the boss of you. But it will pretend to be if you don’t practice Sugar Demon Prevention Protocol.
- All of this scares you to death and that’s okay.
- I got your back.
- Let’s do this.
P.S. The easiest, most economically effective way to get exposure to this message daily, AND get support from peers just like you, AND get my daily interaction, feedback and support is THE LONG TERM SOLUTION Facebook group. It won’t magically fix you, but if this little manifesto resonated with you the LTS can be EXTREMELY helpful. Get a 7 day trial for $1, or a monthly membership for $29, or 30% off an annual membership. Come join us. We are on a freakin mission to help each other conquer sugar demons, shed some mad bodyfat, and have fun doing it.
Click here and see what you think. IT IS ON LIKE DONKEY KONG IN THE LTS!!!!!!